Look up the story "I, Robot". From memory, I believe it is also an Isaac Asimov
story

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Joel C. Ewing
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 10:12 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Colossus, Strangelove, etc. was: Developers say...

[CAUTION: This Email is from outside the Organization. Unless you trust the
sender, Don’t click links or open attachments as it may be a Phishing email,
which can steal your Information and compromise your Computer.]

I've greatly enjoyed Asimov's vision of future possibilities, but when I step
back to reality it occurs to me that his perfect laws of robotics would have to
be implemented by fallible human programmers.  Even if well-intentioned, how
would they unambiguously convey to a robot the concepts of "human", "humanity",
"hurt", and "injure" when there have always been minorities or "others" that
are treated by one group of humans as sub-human to justify injuring them in the
name of "protecting"
them or protecting humanity?  And then there is the issue of who might
make the decision to build sentient robots:   For example, who in our
present White House would you trust to pay any heed to logic or scientific
recommendations or long-term consequences, if they were given the opportunity
to construct less-constrained AI robots that they perceived offered some
short-term political advantage?

Humanity was also fortunate that when the hardware of Asimov's Daneel began to
fail, that he failed gracefully, rather than becoming a menace to humanity.
    Joel C Ewing

On 5/11/20 8:43 AM, scott Ford wrote:
> Well done Joel....I agree , But I can help to to be curious about the
> future of AI.
> a bit of Isaac Asimov ....
>
> Scott
>
> On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 9:25 AM Joel C. Ewing <jcew...@acm.org> wrote:
>
>>     And of course the whole point of Colossus, Dr Strangelove, War
>> Games, Terminator,  Forbidden Planet, Battlestar Galactica, etc. was
>> to try to make it clear to all the non-engineers and non-programmers
>> (all of whom greatly outnumber us) why putting lethal force in the
>> hands of any autonomous or even semi-autonomous machine is something
>> with incredible potential to go wrong.  We all know that even if the
>> hardware doesn't fail, which it inevitably will, that all software
>> above a certain level of complexity is guaranteed to have bugs with
>> unknown consequences.
>>     There is another equally cautionary genre in sci-fi about society
>> becoming so dependent on machines as to lose the knowledge to
>> understand and maintain the machines, resulting in total collapse
>> when the machines inevitably fail.  I still remember my oldest sister
>> reading E.M.
>> Forster, "The Machine Stops" (1909), to me  when I was very young.
>>     Various Star Trek episodes used both of these themes as plots.
>>     People can also break down with lethal  side effects, but the
>> potential  damage one person can create is more easily contained by
>> other people.   The  only effective way to defend again a berserk lethal
>> machine may be with another lethal machine, and Colossus-Guardian
>> suggests why that may be an even worse idea.
>>         Joel C Ewing
>>
>> On 5/11/20 4:54 AM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
>>> Strangelove was twisted because the times were twisted. We're ripe
>>> for a
>> similar parody on our own times.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
>>> https://apc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http:%2F%2Fmason
>>> .gmu.edu%2F~smetz3&amp;data=02%7C01%7Callan.staller%40HCL.COM%7C87d9
>>> 89082f374f96610c08d7f5be19cc%7C189de737c93a4f5a8b686f4ca9941912%7C0%
>>> 7C0%7C637248069162560622&amp;sdata=ZnMqmL1CJJ4Ndpc9HLcl%2FYWR%2FpnSo

--
Joel C. Ewing

::DISCLAIMER::
________________________________
The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission.
The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore
not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or
opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and
may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any
form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written
consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have
immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for
viruses and other defects.