Thanks for the response on the IUCV questions.

I have included below item 6 from the thread origin and a snippet from John
Baker's response.

Maybe I should have placed more emphasis on item 6. The server machine is
going to be updating the buffer areas in all the connected client machines.

Therefore, he server machine needs to know immediately when one of the
guests is quiescent or logged off. IUCV will inform the server when a
connection is severed. The guest machines can set in indicator in an area
monitored by the server to indicate that they have begun a normal closedown
*but* the "fall-off_the page" case is when a machine is logged off and the
server attempts to access the buffers in a machine that no longer exists.

John made a good argument for temporary IUCV connections. In that case the
best way to make a determination on the active state a diagnose that issues
a query command for the user in question?

On a clear day in the not too distant past, "Gary Dennis",
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

On 8/25/08 9:32 PM, "John P. Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Maintaining thousands of IUCV connections may not have a significant impact
> on real storage considering the vast amounts of memory now available on
> zSeries processors.  However, searching through all of those linked lists
> WILL have a performance impact, and is totally unnecessary.

Gary Dennis