>>>> [] It's a horse, not a pony.

What's wrong with ponies?  I waited a looong time to get my pony!  Actually,
I think the "not ponies' myth is starting to die.  Too many of us are too
darned proud of ours, no matter what they are.

>>> [] It's different than any other horse in the world; it is unique.

I DO think it's a pretty unique breed - but more as an accumulation of many
small degrees of differences on many traits, than due to any single big
differences.

>>> [] It's the only horse in the world with five gaits.

Yeah, right, the only ones. Except for a good many TWH, RMH, Standardbreds,
SSH...many of whom have MORE than five isolatable gaits.

>>> [] It has great feet (but you need to shoe if you ride).

Mine have very good feet - but we ride barefoot - with gaits too!

>>> [] It outpulls 1.6 times any other horse (or pulls 1.6 times it's own
weight).

I don't know what that means.

>>> [] It has more intestines than other horses.

Does anyone actually do studies on lengths of intestines?  Seems like a
rather obscure study to find funding... I hope if someone gets some grant
money, they will use it on something else.

>>> [] It's naturally gaited (but you don't see it gait at liberty), and to
gait with a rider, you have to have shoes, boots, an icelandic saddle, tight
noseband, heavy contact, and a whip.

Mine gait at liberty for the most part - some may not gait all the time, and
sometimes the foxtrots may not be instantly visible to an untrained eye, but
the gaits are generally easily felt from the very first rides under saddle.
If not, I don't breed those horses, and I let people know that they are not
as strongly gaited as the breed standard should be.

>>> [] It can carry a 300 lb man, over all terrain, all day.

Three-hundred-pound-men?  Sure!  Over all terrain, all day?  Ok, maybe not,
but for a couple of minutes...maybe more.

>>> [] It is the fastest horse in the world.

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!

>>> [] It needs no special care.

Well, years of survival of the fittest probably HAVE eliminated some the
biggest sissies in the breed.  However, I don't enjoy watching natural
selection at work in my own personal herd, thank you.

>>>[] It has lost it's spookiness and flight response because it has no
predators in Iceland.

I don't buy the "no predators" idea.   I DO think that a harsh climate would
quickly weed out the nervous, flightiest horses, simply because it takes
more energy to act goofy.

>>> [] They are extremely versatile.

I believe that one.   I think a lot of Icelandics can do a lot of things.
It doesn't mean I think you're too likely to find a Grand Prix dressage
capable Icelandic, nor a Tevis Cup winner, but plenty of horses can do an
adequate job of entertaining their owners with a variety of activities.  So,
within reason, yes, I think they are very versatile.

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]





Reply via email to