--- In [email protected], "Karen Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 
> Could Skjoni carry over 300 pounds?  Falki?  Tivar?  MAYBE, if the 
rider was
> really careful, AND they didn't ride all day, AND if they rode at 
a walk for
> a good percentage of the time, AND if they were careful to monitor 
saddle
> fit, AND if they got the horse into shape gradually... 

I tend to think that's too much for most horses, not just Icelandics.

> 
> So, if you are a bigger person - and I'd count "bigger" as being 
over 200,
> certainly over 250 pounds - and you'd like to ride, I'd never say 
no.  But
> please, realize that horseback riding is not a "victimless" 
sport.  There
> are certainly some big-boned, athletic Icelandics, but please 
don't assume
> they all are capable of carrying you.  


I weigh more than I should, and believe me I think about this, I 
would rather lose a little weight before I start riding them too 
much, and I am very balanced, I just don't like the idea of it, it's 
not the greatest thing, and I'm not even anywhere close to 300lbs. I 
am not judging someone like that, I feel for them, but really we 
still need to think about the horses. It just isn't a good thing to 
put out there as one of the attributes of Icelandics.

Kim



Reply via email to