On 1/7/07, stroppelj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In [email protected], Raven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Karen...I saw her post on IWW, but did not respond to it. I just
> > was not in the mood today, to get attacked on that list.
> >
> > Maybe we can contact her off list. Raven
> >
> but you can say also that she was told by several people on that list,
> that they don't think her weight ans Icelandic horses would be a good
> match.
>
> Jasmin
>

I'm glad to hear that.  I used to be a lot heavier, and my husband
weighs about 240.  And one thing I hope someone will point out--- its
very hard to keep your balance on a normal active horse if you are
that heavy.  For one thing women can't use their thighs properly.  I
know that sounds funny, but when my thighs were bigger I could not use
them.  And my husband, altho really big, seems to have normal, hard
muscled thighs!  So I think fat thighs are mostly a female
characteristic (altho I am sure there are lots out there to prove me
wrong!)

Yesterday my husband was watching me ride Tivar in the roundpen before
starting out the gate and he was acting so calm and sweet my husband
said "I was thinking of maybe trying to ride him but nah..."  and I
sorta cringed a little :)  For one thing, Tivar is still green-to-me
and I think it messes a horse up to have different riders too often.
And for another, altho Liz said Tivar was built for carrying weight,
he is a horse with saddlefit issues, saddlepad issues, saddle girth
issues.  He wants everything to be just so.  You can see very clearly
when he is unhappy, cause it is just patently obvious.  His ears go
back, his head goes up and he starts acting prancy and "hot" for lack
of a better word.  and twice now I have noted he seemed very calm and
soft and for whatever reason when I dismounted and got back on, there
was immediately the unhappy ears, the walking backwards with head high
etc.  And yesterday he did that when I got off to open my gate so I
got back off, straightened the saddle, stretched his front legs out to
make sure there was no wrinkled armpit skin or pulled hair, got back
on, and he was fine.

And anything having to do with saddlefit is gonna be exponentially
increased by weight carrying.  That's just logical!

I think those 280 people need percherons.  because they can carry a
lot of weight, but more than that, they are not energetic, but most of
them just plod along.  Thats what they need, big plodding horses, not
nimble fast gaiting horses.  jmo.
janice-
yipie tie yie yo

Reply via email to