>>> Everything I've read on other animals said the mode of transmission was unknown and uncertain whether or not it was only inheritance (rather than hormonal factors during development in utero in some cases).
As I've been reading, I found something that said there is conclusive evidence of it being hereditary in dogs and cats; thus from that it's assumed to be hereditary in horses. It's just that studies haven't been done with sufficient numbers to say it's been proven in equines. That's not to say that there might not also be other causes though, I suppose...? BTW, I do most of my searching on established vet school sites, or on www.thehorse.com, which has advisors from the AAEP - most of the articles there can and do name their sources, and whether the thoughts expressed are "conventional wisdom" or from documented studies. I tend to take stuff on breed sites with a grain of salt. Karen Thomas [EMAIL PROTECTED]
