Last weekend Huginn and I went to Wild River State Park in MN. We got
to the park early Thursday and had fun riding all weekend. We rode
with a variety of gaited horses and one QH.

On Thursday, Huginn and I went out for a solo ride. Friday
morning...we rode with a group of Paso Finos and Peruvians Pasos, then
came back into camp for a late lunch. In the early evening.. Huginn,
Dixie and I went out for a quick 5 mile ride. I pony Dixie. She's so
darn cute... she walks, trots, canters next to Huginn. <;]

On Saturday, I went out with three other freinds; two pasos and the
one QH.  We went out on Sunrise Trail (11 miles one way), got the end
and turned around, headed back to camp. About 8 miles from camp,
Huginn and the QH were in the rear, they kept getting real goosey and
scooting forward, as if something was spooking them from behind.

I kept looking back, but never saw anything.  We thought it was a deer
tracking us. This happen to us three times. On the third time, I
looked back and saw a guy riding a mountain bike. He was about 40'
behind us. Of course, we ...the humans never heard him, as bikes are
so darn quite.  The horses were doing the "wanna bolt jig", so I asked
the biker (who was still peddling towards us) to please stop. He just
kept peddling and gave me a "you're in my way and slowing me down"
look.

I finally said, "Look, you need to please stop. You are spooking the
horses. Please stop!" He stopped and gave us a disgusted sigh.

I then said "I'm not sure if you know this, but you just can not bike
up the rear of horses with out announcing yourself to the riders.
Horses spook easily and you might cause an accident". The guy gave me
another disgusted look, said "whatever" and started to peddle towards
us.

I then said to him "Please stop. We are going to move our horses to
the side of the trail so you can pass us, okay".

As he started to pass us, one of my friends said "This is not a bike
trail, this is a hiking/horse trail". The guy said "Yes..this is a
bike trail". My other friend said "Look, we don't mind sharing the
trail, but you need to respect the fact that you sharing the trail
with horses. Horses who may spook." I then said "Please be careful
when approaching horses, please announce yourself, talk to the horses
as you pass, so they know you are a human. Please think about having a
bell on your bike to warn other trail users that you are coming"

The guy said  "yea..whatever."   He then sped by us.   Part 2...to follow. Raven

Reply via email to