>>>> Look at the gaits, see what type of support there is (i.e. one, two, or
three foot support), whether there is suspension or not.


I couldn't even get this video to expand to full-screen mode for some
reason.  Some look like they are pacing, some probably are truly racking,
but the YouTube resolution is so bad, and with the dusty road, I can't see
belaboring more detail than that - I'd only be guessing.   When horses are
racing in a straight line, you can't get a square-on camera angle for very
long at best, and you really can't tell footfalls accurately unless the
camera is straight-on.  And I admit it; the speed racking/pacing gaits
aren't my thing anyway...


>>> Any nosebands?  any open mouths?


I didn't see any nosebands.  I did see a couple of open mouths.


>>> are the horses ventroflexed?


I'm sure some ventroflexion is inevitable with the rack and pace gaits, but
I didn't notice TOO many EXTREME cases... several of the horses were on
loose reins at least, despite the bad riding otherwise.  One horse in
particular seemed to get out of control, so the rider really jerked his head
up, but what can you expect when speed is the goal?  Racing is hardly
conducive to good riding.   Generally, a rider chooses at least somewhat
between speed and finesse, and I think we know what the priorities of this
crew were...


>>> are the legs straight?  how's the flight of the legs?


Who could really tell with the speed, the dust, the poor camera angles, and
the poor YouTube resolution?   I didn't see any obviously horrible paddling
or winging, but I could have missed it.  I sure wouldn't make a decision to
breed to a horse (or not to) with no better video than that!




Karen Thomas, NC



No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.15.19/1105 - Release Date: 11/2/2007
11:04 AM


Reply via email to