Eyewitness account of the Oct. 27, 2007 semi tractor/trailer accident
in Wadsworth, Ill., written by Deanna Hertrich, a board member of the
Illinois Dressage and Combined Training Association:

What did you do Saturday night?

October 27th, 2007. It had been a great Saturday. Perfect Midwest Fall
weather and a day full of accomplishments. I had been able to ride
three horses on the farm, one being my two and a half year old Boo for
the fourth time of his life, followed by my twenty year old event
horse, given a light day of dressage still feeling very good after a
full season of shows.
I consider myself and my family "horsy". We own a small horse farm; of
which I am the full time staff. I compete in combined training as well
as dressage. Kevin, my partner, is also very active; not only a DVM
practicing with Bristol Veterinary Service (must mention Wisconsin
Veterinarian of the Year for 2007) but also competing in the sport of
combined driving. Our three year son, Nathan enjoys his pony, always
looking forward to the next opportunity to saddle up.

It was just after seven in the evening. I had made dinner and we were
just winding down. I even had my shower done; only task left was
figuring what would be good to watch on the television. It was Kevin's
weekend on call. Then the pager went off, not at all unusual for this
time of the evening as it had done just thirty minutes before. Kevin
was sharing calls with Dr. Steve Graham; Steve taking the Illinois
calls, Kevin the Wisconsin calls.

As Kevin called back the service I lingered about to find out what was
up and where he would have to go. The service had a bizarre message,
some sort of tractor trailer accident in Newport. It was all a bit
strange as neither of us new what or where Newport was and why would
they be talking about a semi wreck? Kevin called the number the
service provided him and was answered by the Newport Fire and Rescue
department. They proceeded to inform him they had a semi tractor
trailer roll over on highway 41 and Wadsworth Road, Wadsworth
Illinois. Still a bit confused they continued to say that there were
59 horses on board. Needless to say we were shocked. I immediately
asked should I come along, answered very quickly with a yes. I rushed
about getting clothes on, our three year old dressed and portable DVD
packed while Kevin kept calling his associates, rounding up whom he
could.

We were on the scene moments before seven thirty. Kevin had called
Steve instructing him to stop at the clinic on his way to stock up on
supplies. Our vet truck pulled right up to the over turned cab; lying
across both lanes northbound, the median and two lanes of the
southbound. As we approached the trailer, the rescue departments had
already erected a substantial round pen about the rear of the trailer
made of large chain link panels draped with tarps. We were escorted
through a section to the rear, as we walked through there was kicking
and banging from inside the trailer. The velocity was so great that
the roof, which was what was facing us, was moving and bulging with
every kick. Approaching the rear, the rescue squad was already sawing
the back door apart. With the truck and trailer completely on its
side, there was no accessible door.

By then many local horse enthusiasts had arrived. There were trailers
lined up and ready to roll, people bringing blankets, halters and
leads. Most important; people willing to risk their safety for already
endangered animals. Never was there a shortage of help, physical or
mental. Everyone worked as a team and I consider of all things, if it
had to happen how fortunate it happened in such an involved, aware and
supportive horse community.

Eternity was what it felt like. Finally the section rescue was working
on gave way and facing all was a challenge to behold. It would have
been the bottom of the trailer; my understanding and from what I could
see it was a double decker trailer, meaning that it had two levels. It
was a sea of animals, down and intertwined. Dr. Koehler who also is a
local DVM had heard the news and arrived, he and Kevin went in to try
and figure a plan. Nothing was easy, and by no means pretty. If I
recall right the first horse off was pulled out, and I also believe it
was euthanized by the end of the night. The situation just turned from
bad to worse.

It became efforts of passion. The goal was to get all out and as soon
as we could. As the first compartment was cleared, those horses that
could stand were given the chance. I would grab the halter, hold the
head and neck straight, position the front legs out and all helping
would hoist the animal up. If they could stand, we would support them
as we moved them away from the scene off to a make shift triage. There
they were met by loving hands, warm blankets and kind hearts. I would
imagine by the look of the horses, they would have never experienced
this type of love ever.

It appeared that all were Belgian, Belgian crosses and some
Percherons. There were a few ponies, some sort of Hafflinger crosses
and maybe some quarter horse crosses. All the tails had been docked;
they all had hip numbers from auction and very recent hip brands.
About eighty to ninety percent were yearlings and two year olds.
Although they were young they were big. I would lead one out with two
fireman supporting the hind end and think wow, this is a tall horse!
They just kept coming, those few that could stand, and most physically
pulled out.

The second compartment had been opened. I refer to it as a compartment
because it was no better than that. With the trailer on its side it
was so hard to understand what was what; there were all these
partitions that you could not make sense of nor open. Rescue had
decided that the best way to the rest would be through the roof. It
was an onslaught of noise and commotion; I could only imagine what
those horses were going through. Once again we started empting that
section just as the first.

By then the rescue squad had devised a make shift horse stretcher.
Somewhere they had produced these full sheets of three quarter inch
plywood, sawed holes through the end which ropes were placed. Now we
were sliding horses out the roof, which had been folded down to the
pavement. Again, most were pulled to safety; those that couldn't stand
were rolled over onto the stretcher and pulled out to triage. Maybe a
few walked out of that compartment, it was just so surreal. There was
never a moment that I was not attached to a horse, putting on a
halter, holding legs still, bracing a head and mostly pulling bodies
about.
Other rescue personal were then working on freeing a section again at
the rear of the trailer. Enclosed there were four weanlings or small
yearlings. They were bonded together like glue and standing upright.
The space they were in could not have been any bigger than a small dog
kennel, with a quarter of the height. I would check them periodically
as we kept removing others from the adjacent compartment. Easily I
could see them through the slats; they stood like statues above all
the noise, sparks and commotion. About the same time the one section
was empty the little ones were closer to freedom. They came out as a
group and it took quite a few hands to get the over sized halters on
their little heads. That group I helped lead to the awaiting trailers,
and just like all the rest they jumped straight on, never a
hesitation.

Meanwhile Kevin and Dr. Koehler were having a rough time with two
mares remaining in the first side. One had her hoof trapped through
the slats under the trailer and the other wanted nothing to do with
rescue and took a couple good swings at Kevin, landing one on his
thigh and the next on his wrist. With much struggle they both were
tranquilized and left to settle for further evaluation on their
removal. Dr. Steve Graham and Dr. Leslie Szalla; also on Bristol's
staff, arriving as soon as she heard of the accident, were managing
the triage and doing the best they could. Thankfully they had enough
willing help and many experienced equine people.

It was on to a new section; yet another partition in the way. Rescue
once again sawed the gate in half, the top section was pulled up and
tied back while the bottom half was attached to the ground, which
would have been the side of the trailer. This is when I finally
started to give. There pinned against what would have been the floor
of the top section and also along what would have been the side of the
trailer was a horse each side. The gap they were pinned in could have
been no larger than eight inches. One was trapped by its neck; the
other had hind legs on one side and body on the other. I am sure that
they came to their demise during the flip, and I never saw them move.

However, that was not the worse to come for me. I believe it was some
form of the Jaws of Life that removed the remaining barricade to the
expose the rest of the trapped horses. My heart literally sank and I
wanted to walk away. What appeared was a cavity filled with horses
lying on their sides. I would have guessed any where between fifteen
and twenty some. They were laying three to four deep and hiding in the
back were two standing. I could not tell what they were standing on
but figured it had to be their comrades. I turned to the rescue person
at my side and said I don't even know where to start. There were legs
everywhere; you could not tell what was with whom. The only thing
distinguishable was their groaning as steam rose up from their tired
overstressed bodies. An occasional movement would catch your eye, and
we all stood there for a minute not knowing what to do. Finally I
crawled in at the lead from another man and haltered one, the first
head we saw move. As we tried to hoist him up we realized his legs
were under two or three others. Finally we went back to the two dead
and started to remove them to get to the others. Before we could get
the first one out, this commotion started from the back, more groaning
and kicking. I looked up to see one standing from the back walking
across the bodies. He came straight to us, placed his head in the
halter and walked out of that wreck. I was again invigorated and
continued with diligence and hope. Had that animal not made the
effort, I might have walked away. I knew now that I could not give up.

That was the worst compartment, not many walked out of there. By then
more of the roof had been removed and the back half we were able to
roll out of the wreck straight on to the stretchers. Caution was taken
with the metal; sharp edges were covered by winter blankets, brought
out by volunteers, to prevent more damage and pain to the horses. The
roof folded down to the pavement like a cheap beer can. With all the
condensation and manure it was very difficult to walk on let alone
drag horses out of. As we all sorted through the bodies an occasional
round of cheer and applause would be heard. It was quite disconcerting
as I thought what could be happy here? I would turn my head to the
volunteers outside as one more battered body arose to the loving arms
and support of their rescuers. My heart would smile.

On to the last compartment; this would have been the section above the
truck. The easiest way in there was yet through another partition.
Again the sawing and cutting; once open I asked the chief is there one
down on the left. I got the happy reply that no, they were all up. I
believe there were about seven or eight in there, almost adult size.
In order to assure they could walk out safe, the unused stretchers
were placed on the floor of the trailer and one over the folded down
roof for an easy walk to the pavement. They were haltered by the
Newport chief, one by one lead down the busted up hull. I informed the
people along the cut roof line to form a human wall to prevent any
horse from wanting to leave at a spot that was to low for clearance,
sporting quite a jagged dangerous edge. About eight of us stood there
as each horse walked to safety; unbelievable that they would continue
to trust and obey.
The last two mares on the bottom side were finally sedated enough and
both came out; they were the last. Assessment was on going in triage,
and now all the vets' attention was out there. Evaluations were made;
those that had injuries to grave to overcome were kindly euthanized
and quietly left the scene with the peace and love of their human
rescuers. The site itself is unimaginable and I will spare anymore
details.

As for exact numbers I can't even tell. That night was a blur; it took
all in all about five hours to remove all the horses from the wreck. I
think that is pretty incredible. Yes, more could have been saved if we
could have gotten to them. Rest assured all was done to do so. I have
never seen such team work in total strangers, and the rescue
departments were wonderful. Those fire fighters and rescue personal
were never hesitant; they understood the desperation of the animals
and compassionately worked to free them. I safely feel I can say that
no human was even injured, despite the horses thrashing about and the
dangerous conditions of the wreck. I will say that every muscle in my
body aches, and I would imagine most people involved would say the
same. It is the power of the human spirit and the fight for our
animals that create the miracle.

Why did I write about this? No particular reason but to share an
experience. We all can imagine what the fate of these animals was,
what will happen to then now remains a mystery. When these incidents
happen, and they have happened before, those directly involved seem to
disappear like the lives of these magnificent animals. It was only a
year ago that an identical incident happened outside St. Louis, about
the same amount of living and dead from what I recall hearing. I guess
all I ask is to give it some thought. Although you may think the
answer is easy, there in lies the catch. If it appears that I am
talking in circles, I am; intending not to turn into being an
editorial or position, just a life experience. Be aware, be practical
and be conscientious. Most of all is be keepers of the animals.
I was to be at a horse trial that weekend. Up until two weeks before
the accident I was still on and off about going. However, I was tired;
it was late in the year and my partner and I had already had a great
season. I opted out. Now I know why the decision was made for me. My
destiny was to help those animals with the countless others that
arrived at the scene. The gratification and reward was far better than
any blue ribbon won. We all received the biggest prize that evening,
the privilege of helping these defenseless animals, the opportunity to
experience humanity at its best and even some of God's miracles. What
did you do Saturday night?

Reply via email to