I think this list may be the best source of information on what may have
happened to my colt.

Last week my daughter and I had to go to town, and it was almost dark when
we got home.  Needless to say, we were tired and just wanted to get the
horses fed and get into the house.

I have a three year old colt, Wart,  on a 15 acre pasture with two mares. 
When I went to feed, the mares came running down the hill.  Then I saw
Wart running down the hill.  He was running on three legs, dragging his
hind leg behind him.  When he got to the feeder, I had thrown in some hay
and he started to eat.  But he could not support any weight on that leg. 
I was sure he had a fracture because it dangled at the pastern.  However,
he did not seem to be any any pain and tried several times to put weight
on it, only to have it buckle at the pastern.  I called for my daughter to
call the vet and hitch up the trailer.  Where I live you cannot get a vet
for any reason at night, you have to trailer in, about 60 miles down a
mountainous road.  Anyway, I wrapped his pastern into the right position
so it would not flop.  He just continued eating while I manipulated his
pastern to get the wrap on - no sign of pain.  And bless Wart's heart, he
loaded on three feet, almost falling down getting into the trailer.  We
got to the vet about two hours later.  I opened the trailer to unload, and
Wart stepped out like nothing had happened - full weight on his foot, no
sign of lameness.  We took him inside and the vet examined him and could
find nothing.  We left  him overnight, and in the morning, the vet called
and said they could find noting wrong.  They ex-rayed his pastern, hock,
stifle, etc.  So, $600 later,  could not get him so show any sign of
lameness.

Either I have a magical trailer, or both my daughter and I are
delusional!!  Honest, we were both in tears all the way to the vet we were
so sure this was a serious injury.

I am still worried about Wart - kept him confined for a few days, and
finally put him back on pasture.  No sign of any lameness.

Wart is a beautiful sweet young stallion - if anyone has any idea what may
have happened, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions -

Janet
Caliente, California

Reply via email to