>>>> We started off, and by the end of the driveway I knew I was in for it.   
>>>> That little mare was SO rough even at a walk, that I didn't know if I 
>>>> would survive the whole ride.  I did survive amazingly.  AND I certainly 
>>>> gave Hreggur a hug when I got home.  Even at a walk he was 10 times 
>>>> smoother than that little mare.


If a horse is rough at a walk, then maybe something is up - a walk is a walk.   
But, regarding the other gaits: about 3-4 months after I bought Mac I was like, 
ok, NOW what?   There was nothing appreciable to learn about riding from a 
horse that gaits and gaits and gaits and nothing else.  He was too strongly 
lateral to even think about jumping, and dressage is a three-gaited sport.   He 
couldn't even canter well, so forget about learning about leads, and of course, 
there was nothing to post to...and flying leads?  No chance!   I got Holly and 
Sundance, and occasionally rode Emily's Arab, Thunder...and then I started 
learning how to ride.   I think it would have been a mistake for Emily to start 
riding on one of the walkers.  By learning on Thunder with his "thunder-trot" 
she immediately learned to achieve a "Velcro butt."  Seriously, I think kids 
SHOULD learn to ride on 3-gaited horses if at all possible, or at least on 
horses with non-soft gaits.  .IF I ever get a grandkid, I'll be looking for a 
three-gaited Icelandic, or at least one with a very strong inclination to trot. 
 :) 

BTW, Sundance did a jog that was smooth as silk to ride.  He could also trot, 
but if I didn't want to post, I just said, "jog" and he did.   His walk...well, 
it was just a plain old regular old walk.  


Karen Thomas, NC



No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition. 
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.1/1220 - Release Date: 1/11/2008 6:09 
PM
 

Reply via email to