>>>> I concur with Mic about the effects on feet over ice or road. I have
seen so many people not take heed and trot or cantor their horses on hard
surface with steel or aluminum shoes and splat. I ride only at a walk on the
roads and my horses are almost always barefoot just because of the accidents
I have seen. Really, people should make as much protest about riding shod
horses on roads that don't have some type of friction material applied and
move faster than a walk as I am hearing about the ice ride that is coming.
Just my opinion.


If you will show me any organized event in the USA where horses are ridden
at speed on ANY ice, concrete or asphalt surface, I'll be happy to protest
that event.  Unfortunately, the only such idiocy I hear about as an
organized sport is in OUR breed.  That's just plain embarrassing to any
horseman with a conscience.


While I think that riding on asphalt or concrete should be avoided as much
as possible, ice DOES add the slippery factor that isn't present so strongly
with riding on asphalt.  Come to think of it, I've NEVER seen a horse ridden
on concrete - POSSIBLY across a parking lot at a walk outside some expo or
venue, but I can't even remember seeing that....?  All the carriage horses I
can think of in the historic districts go at a walk...and they are sometimes
controversial for various reasons.



Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]




No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.4/1227 - Release Date: 1/16/2008
1:40 AM


Reply via email to