>
> The softness of ice re pounding will, I am sure, depend on whether the
> ice is on a lake cushioned underneath by water -- where the ice will
> flex with weight (see the History Channel series in the Ice Road where
> the road noticably flexes and cracks under the trucks in the portions
> across lakes) , or if the ice is in a rink cushioned by concrete or is
> over frozen ground.
>
Interesting thought, Lynn.

We rode out  on old dirt surface logging roads yesterday, sub-freezing.  In 
the shade, the ground was really hard.  I would like to think there was some 
flex in it, but I'm not really sure.   We never got out of a walk and the 
horses were comfortable except one place where the ice was actually 
sparkling on the frozen dirt.  I think they were okay.

The part that seems uncomfortable to me is the narrow single track trail 
that freezes and thaws into rigid peaks.  I know I have trouble walking on 
it and wonder about the horses.  Hunter does outweigh me, but still.

Nancy
> 

Reply via email to