> >Have they done any research of horses running on ice?
> Not formal research that I know of.<<

Mic, 
Here's an example of some informal research: I rode out the other day (before 
this last snowstorm), the dirt roads were clear down the middle with ice and 
snow on the sides. I tried to keep Mosa in the middle on the dirt (she's 
barefoot right now) but she kept drifting...and the thought occured to me that 
she WANTED to walk on the ice- so I let her choose her path and I was 
right...she wanted to feel it and explore it, and figure out what that footing 
felt like- so she walked about 100 yards on one side on the ice and then 
switched over and did the same on the other side...then she decided the dirt 
was ok.  She did her own research.  She did the same thing last year when the 
stream overflowed into their pasture on one side and froze like a little pond 
---she spent days playing on the ice, trying out different directions and 
different speeds until she was satisfied. She very obviously enjoyed the ice. 
Ashley

Reply via email to