Found this formula on a horse site:

"Measuring a horses cannon bone is used by some in determining the 
approximate weight a horse can carry. A measurement is taken around the 
circumference of the foreleg, just below the knee. Add together the weight 
of the horse plus the rider and tack, and divide this sum by the cannon bone 
circumference measurement. Then divide that result by two. A number between 
75 and 85 is good. If the number is over 85, you probably need a larger 
horse. Using this method, I measure the circumference of the horses cannon 
bone and get 7.5 inches. The body weight of the horse is 1,150 pounds and 
the rider and gear weigh 235 pounds for a total combined weight of 1,350 
pounds. Divide 1,350 (total combined weight) by 7.5 (cannon bone) and I get 
roughly 185. Divide 185 in half and my final resulting number is 93. Using 
this calculating method, I either need to lighten my gear or get a larger 
horse to get the number down to around 85."


Judy
http://iceryder.net
http://clickryder.com 

Reply via email to