>>> "Measuring a horses cannon bone is used by some in determining the
approximate weight a horse can carry. A measurement is taken around the
circumference of the foreleg, just below the knee. Add together the weight
of the horse plus the rider and tack, and divide this sum by the cannon bone
circumference measurement. Then divide that result by two. A number between
75 and 85 is good. If the number is over 85, you probably need a larger
horse. Using this method, I measure the circumference of the horses cannon
bone and get 7.5 inches. The body weight of the horse is 1,150 pounds and
the rider and gear weigh 235 pounds for a total combined weight of 1,350
pounds.


I read that formula several years ago - I think it was once in Gaited Horse
magazine...?   Anyway I know no formula can be more than a rule of thumb at
best, but that one makes more sense than most, since it factors in that the
horse has to support his own weight, as well as the weight of the rider and
the tack.  It surprised me that using that formula, Cary and Skjoni actually
fall well within the good range - between 75 and 85, and I think it was in
the lower (better) end of the range.  (I'd have to look up Skjoni's last
weight-tape reading to recalculate.)

If you've read Dr. Deb's conformation analysis books, you know that she
makes the point that larger horses can be LESS able to carry weight better
than smaller, stocky horses.   She points out that with the warmbloods and
drafts, you don't see a proportionally larger cannon bone, to support their
additional weight.

Another reason I'd be very wary of a 15+H Icelandic...if I ever see one,
that is.  :)


Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]




No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.12/1245 - Release Date: 1/26/2008
3:45 PM


Reply via email to