>>>> I decided to take a couple of days off clicker training. More of a 
>>>> retreat and regroup while I organise a plan. Well I still do 
>>>> maintainance with some carrots and otherwise they get feed in a bowl as 
>>>> before the clicker training. This is definitely not acceptable to 
>>>> Ofeig. She wants the training please. In fact I'm altogether worried 
>>>> that she is too bonded to me. Is that possible? Maybe she is addicted 
>>>> to clicker training.


I'm all for any type of positive training, but that said, I have definitely 
encountered a few horses that had become clicker junkies.  Seriously, I've 
seen a couple who got so worked up trying to "guess" what would get them a 
click and treat that they would actually stop thinking, and resort to simply 
"doing" rotely, and in a demanding way.  There are ways to misapply any type 
of training technique - no matter how hard we try to get things right the 
first time.  We're human, and they're horses, so we make a few mistakes... 
:)


Taking a few days off until you get inspired on how to proceed is probably a 
wise move.   Maybe you could try adding in some other positive groundwork 
games, some that aren't so food-based?   TTEAM, Parelli Seven Games, Lyons, 
Dorrence.... Horses can become pretty tuned-in, responsive and participatory 
learners even without food rewards.   I do give my horses treats at times, 
but they are also generally pretty tuned-in even without food.


Is this your first horse?  Your first clicker-training experience?


Karen Thomas, NC

Reply via email to