On Feb 10, 2008, at 11:57 AM, Mic Rushen wrote:

>> Interesting; strap around the hindquarters:
>>
> Haven't seen that before - I wonder if the idea is similar to the use
> of the retrancas of Peruvian Paso tack? I imagine it would help the
> horse to engage his hindquarters, or at least to be very aware of
> them! (I suspect it could also make an oversensitive horse run away
> too!)
>
> Mic

I was thinking it was a carriage training aid maybe.  The Peruvian 
retrancas are much looser and ride just above the hock and attach below 
the saddle skirt by the cantle 
(http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/raj.htm). The device those horses had 
attached to the girth.  Peru has already made retrancas optional for 
show and few people use them on the trail, even if otherwise using 
traditional tack.


Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/

Reply via email to