>
>
  Angela said that she was told that
> endurance horses may wear their back feet more than their front and
> that some compete with boots on the front and shoes on the back, so
> maybe that is the explanation, rather than that the racking or
> stepping pacing that these horses do is causing extra wear."


Hhhhmmm - I'll ask my farrier.  He shoes lots of endurance horses.  My horse 
does LD's (that's 25-30 miles) and gets ridden about 20 miles a week.  His 
preferred gait is rack, but he also has lots of other gears and we use them 
all.  His shoes wear evenly, but he does wear a set out in 6 weeks.

I have never noticed an endurance horse with boots in front and shoes in the 
back, but I have heard of people putting boots over the front shoes to try 
to cushion a particulaly sensitive horse over rocky terrain.  We see 
barefoot horses,  shod horses and horses with various types of boots.   One 
of my favorite riders came in second (I think) in a mileage contest 
sponsored by Eazy Boot with 1120 miles in 2007 on a very nice rescue horse 
named Oliver Twist.  He is half Standardbred and half Tennessee Walker.

Nancy 

Reply via email to