>>>  Jason is a self-taught farrier (he went to Iceland for a few months to
see what they do over there), with no prior blacksmithing or horse
experience before he met and started riding Marci Staci's horses here in
Michigan
shortly before the clinic I went to took place.  So, he's been riding horses
(not just Icelandics, but HORSES) for 6 or 7 years  -- tops.   And I don't
think he's ever met an Icelandic whose gaits he didn't think he couldn't
"fix" with shoeing.


I'm trying to remember exactly when I joined the lists - it was about a week
before Wanda's Solon was born (I had three pregnant mares at the time, so it
made an impression on me - he was the first "list foal" born after I joined)
so I think that will be five years in August - Wanda can confirm when he was
born.  Anyway, not too long after I joined, someone in the Northeast was
hosting a Sigrun clinic, and Jason was on the agenda to appear with
her...listing him as a "Master Icelandic Farrier."   At the time, I think
he'd only been riding less than two years, and had been a "farrier" for even
less time, maybe less than one year.  I'm pretty sure that the USIHC even
listed him as a "master farrier" on clinic calendar on their website.  (I
seem to remember they took the "master" off when his inexperience was
revealed.)   In contrast, in the USA, it takes a farrier at least something
like TEN years of apprenticeships, increasing experience and testing to get
the title of master farrier.  The wording on the handbills for the clinic,
as well as attendee reports, phrased it something like he would be there to
shoe horses under Sigrun's direction.  Huh?  I was stunned at the audacity
of calling someone who should still be in the "apprentice farrier" phase by
the title of "master."   In the USA, farriery is a serious profession (not
that there aren't quacks in every profession) that is a full-time career and
pursuit.   A good farrier stays busy learning how to maintain a horse's foot
and joint health.  I don't know of any GOOD farriers and trainers where it's
the TRAINER who dictates how the feet will be trimmed.  Sometimes, the
farrier will consult with a vet, to go over x-rays for a particular horse
with medical problems, but mostly, farriery is a serious independent career
that stands on its own merits.  Trainers and farriers are basically two
separate careers, independent, and both worthy of careful consideration when
selecting.  I've worked mainly with one trainer (taking clinics from others)
for 18 years, and the same farrier for 15 or so.  I typically had about 6-8
horses the first ten years, but the number has crept up to over 20 in the
last five years.   Even with that number of horses, I cannot remember even
once where my trainer has told my farrier what to do to my horses feet - and
it would take some peculiar circumstances for that to happen.  They are both
professionals, and both are respectful of each other's expertise.  Never,
EVER would I let some riding clinician dictate how my horse's feet are
trimmed and/or shod.

I'm sure anyone who's interested can find details about this incident in the
archives.  We don't make this stuff up...although some days I wish it were
all make-believe.


Karen Thomas, NC



No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 7.5.518 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1324 - Release Date: 3/10/2008
7:27 PM


Reply via email to