> i cant put loose out every day. I have to do it between rainy
spells...
> Janice
>
I have to put it in the stable to which they have free access. I wet
it in a net because of corries COPD then put it on the floor. If I
put it out between rainy spells that would be once or twice a month.
The paddocks are waterlogged again after drying out once. So my
routine is as follows. 7am dunk the hay(2kg between them) and let it
drain while I much the stables. Feed the hay. Then soak the next one
and put it to drain while I make up the days nets. 10am, 12md, 3pm,
6pm repeat the process.At 6pm they get a small feed with supplements
(and medication for corrie). 9pm they get 3kg+ net each. Some in
stable and the rest hung in the net tolast overnight. They have free
acess to the pasture for exercise as there isn't much grass. They
have 14kg between them daily= 2% body weight. Their condition score
is 3.
I did start (green grass weaning)with 15 mins grazing in my
recovering paddock but it snowed and it's wet.
I use the 'square' bales because I can carry them. The mixed
grasses hay grows over in the next field. I watch it grow and check
it for poisonous plants. My neighbour delivers it for £3 a bale= 18kg
approx.
I really hate having to break ice to soak the hay. I may use a sack
and a kettle of boiling water next year. Anyone know any methods that
don't freeze the fingers off?
I use a field mineral block in a bucket (Dodson and horrell) and
rock salt on a rope in the stables.
One of the supplements is vitamins and minerals. The others are a
probiotic and hoof supplement. Corrie has her restore and ventopulmin
n addition to some respiratory herbs and joint supplement. She is
spoiled rotten.
Sue UK