On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:38:39 -0700, you wrote:

>> We have a yearling with possible grass sickness... vet has just left.
>>  Please think of us.
>
He died this morning at 6am. Vet is not sure what from....

He has been a bit "depressed" for about 3 weeks. Nothing concrete,
just not quite himself, and not as fat as the rest of the youngsters -
and losing weight slowly, plus he had some patchy hair loss around his
face and neck though he wasn't rubbing. I wormed him (though he was up
to date), de-loused him, and put him onto a really grassy field with
his best mate. He seemed to be picking up.

Then yesterday, he had green liquid coming from his nostrils, his
breathing was laboured, he had lost lots more hair on his face plus a
large patch on his rump, withers and stifles, and he had lost a
tremendous amount of weight virtually overnight. I got him in, checked
his temperature (105 degrees, 40.1), gave him a shot of penicillin and
called the vet. The areas where he had lost hair were raw and sore
looking but he didn't mind them touched. The hair had fallen out, not
been rubbed away.

By last night, he had gastric reflux (stomach contents coming out of
his nose), patchy sweating, temperature still 105, yet he seemed
remarkably bright. Not dehydrated, drinking well, but breathing very
laboured and grinding his teeth. No gut sounds. The vet gave him more,
and different, antibiotics, painkillers and antimflammatories

This morning, very early, he was still standing, looking much the same
as last night, but with some hind leg weakness. I left him to go and
let out the chickens etc and when I came back he was down, flat out,
and as I watched, he just died.

The vet will be doing a PM tomorrow. I'll let you all know the
results.

Mic


Mic (Michelle) Rushen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solva Icelandic Horses and DeMeulenkamp Sweet Itch Rugs: 
www.solva-icelandics.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"

Reply via email to