>>> My husband will be especially happy to see it because he couldn't 
>>> understand why I couldn't just go out there and just make Doppa let Mura 
>>> in.  Actually, I don't think Doppa ever objected but Mura needed 
>>> connvincing.  It really bothered him to see Doppa standing in the shed 
>>> and Mura standing on the outside by the window.  Silly, a little thing, 
>>> but it's nice to know that Mura is really feeling secure now.


Good for Mura and Doppa...and good for you for not forcing it.  It's hard to 
watch our horses adapt sometimes, but often I think our attempts to rush 
things just add to the tensions, be it with feeding or shelter, or any of 
their most primal needs.  Horses almost invariably work it out on their own 
terms if we let them.   Flekka was one of the lowest on the totem pole mares 
when we got her, not mistreated by the herd, but certainly a little bit of a 
wallflower in the crowd.  On the other hand, Maja arrived at just 3.5 years 
old, ready to be the mistress of the domain - you couldn't expect two mares 
of more different personalities.  Both are smart and sweet, just nothing 
alike.   Then two years ago, Maja and Flekka were pregnant together along 
with Saga and Sina, and they developed a pretty strong friendship, whereas 
before, Flekka just stayed out of Maja's line of sight.  I don't remember 
Maja ever doing anything to her - I think the insecurity was all in Flekka's 
mind, much like you described with Mura.  This year they are the only two 
pregnant mares, so they've been alone together for the past few weeks where 
they can have plenty of good, fescue-free pasture.   It's really cute to see 
how attached and respectful they are of each other now.  They are nicely 
bonded, but not overly attached so as to panic when one leaves the pasture 
first.  I often catch them shoulder grooming each other.  It makes me think 
of my final weeks of pregnancy when I couldn't clip my own toenails!


Karen Thomas, NC

Reply via email to