http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10911

Not a pleasant topic, but one we ALL need to think about before it's time. 
I've had to make this call once with one horse, was spared making it for 
another, and I have three other older horses that I'll likely have to make 
the call for over the next few years.  Lord knows, I hope I don't have to 
make it for any of my younger horses, but we never know.  Please read this, 
and take some time to REALLY think about it.  It's hard to be rational when 
the pressure is on, so best do some pre-planning.  Also, please discuss this 
grim subject with your vet well ahead of time, so he/she can know your 
philosophy on the subject - no vet wants to make the call for you, and some 
cases simply aren't clear cut.  It may help to talk about this with your 
spouse, and/or with your closest horsey-buddy.  Believe me, it helps to have 
someone to support you when you have to make a decision, and to remind you 
of what your rational self would consider appropriate.

Karen Thomas, NC


Reply via email to