Good article, Karen. We must remember that we know the horses the
best. Last August, a new vet came by to give vaccinations. He took one
look at my Stella who has Cushings and had laminitis at the time and
said "this horse must be put down" I said that she was not ready and
that I wanted some special blood tests for her Cushings. He said that
he would do the tests but that she should not be alive by the time
they were done.

He also said that she had no sole and her coffin bone could be viewed
from the bottom of the foot. I had him do x rays and she had lots of
sole and though there was some rotation, the coffin bone was no where
near the sole. I had been experimenting with her diet as she needed a
very low carb intake and was trying all sorts of combinations.

To make a long story short, within a week or two I hit on the right
combination, she recovered and has been sound ever since. She bosses
the other horses around, and is happy.

He came back to check on Bibi recently and said "Wow your old mare
looks good. When he left, he said "You have taught me a lesson,
thanks."

I know she has a life threatening disease but you must know your
horses and take it one step at a time.

Ann

ps I rode Bibi yesterday for the first time. We walked around the
small ring we have and she does not seem to have much stop or turn but
was relaxed and happy.

Reply via email to