The UC-Davis site has a lot of good information on colors for those that are 
interested.

http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/coatcolor.php

You'll notice that some of the terms they use may not agree with what's 
commonly used within the Icelandic breed circles.  The UC-Davis site seems 
more consistent with what I'd heard pre-Icelandic's.

And Ann, I was wrong.  I see that there is now a dun "test" available, but 
it's not a true genetic test per se.  Here are the details: 
http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/dunhorse.php  Note that you have to 
present hair samples from the parents too, and since many of our horses have 
parents from other countries or parents now deceased, that's not viable for 
many of us.  They also ask to see the registration for three 
generations...and if the registration has errors (and we know that happens) 
what they do isn't valid.

I still don't plan to have any of mine tested, for any color.  I'm happy 
that they can identify the known problematic colors now ("lethal white", and 
silver dapple for the apparent link to ASD in some breeds - although it's 
interesting that the ASD link isn't even mentioned on this site...) but it 
also makes me very sad to know that breeders are picking breeding stock to 
stack the odds for popular colors.  Frankly, I'd much rather see this 
research money going to soundness and basic health related conditions.  As 
Janice is saying these days - follow the money.  Genetics research is always 
interesting, and colors are pretty, but hair color is literally not even 
skin deep.

Note too, the quote about the cream gene on black: "A genetically black 
horse (E, aa) can carry the dilution allele without expressing it, since 
CCcr only affects red pigment."   And also: "Many black horses will 
sun-fade, especially around the muzzle and flanks and such animals may be 
called brown."  In other words, a "fading black" horse (a very vague term) 
and a "smoky black" horse may look the same.  Funny, though, in this breed, 
some people have made "smoky blacks" sound exotic, and "faded blacks" sound 
boring and undesirable.  Go figure...

One thing that just occurred to me after reading this: could it be that 
Ima's sire, Bragur might carry the cream gene and it's not expressed in his 
black silver dapple coloring?  It's interesting...sort of...but the reality 
is that Ima is dark "brown" (as defined by Crayola), no matter what her 
color genetics are.  I have no plans to sell Ima, because I like her so 
much...brown, dark liver chestnut, "smoky black", "possible minimally 
expressed silver dapple black" or whatever she happens to be.  :)

Here's the color testing fee schedule: 
http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/horse.php  It's $40 per horse tested for 
the first coat-color test, with $25 for each additional test. With all the 
color modifiers found in Icelandic's, I think that could put me into 
bankruptcy!

Karen Thomas, NC


Reply via email to