The old man who bred my jaspar and Fox, etc., he was a biglick shower
at the WGC level in the sixties.  He is very elderly now.  His wife
died and he sorta gave up on living.  Its been a year now and he has
met a new friend, she is elderly too, a former big hunter jumper
eventer show person in new england.  She talked him into showing again
and we are having so much fun!  I am going over against saturday.  He
has the last of all his breeding program, he has been dispersing the
herd and gelding stallions, a gorgeous colt named "BTO's Last Chance",
he was born 4 months ago I think.  Anyway.  we are halter training him
to show and the old man is going to show him!  Its very heartwarming.
In all these years of knowing him i have never seen him work with
horses except to do a rush job getting them ready for sale, or to
breed them. I have often been appalled at his treating them like
livestock etc.  But he was very good at what he did when he was in
that show world, and I am enjoying observing his training methods :)
He has a way of secretly manipulating behavior with concealed treats,
and thats interesting.  I will try and get some video Saturday!  We
are taking little Chance to a show in South Georgia to just walk
around with him etc. exposing him to things.  but its kinda touching
to see this bent old man in baggy pants and battered old hat hobbling
along with his gorgeous frisky colt, crabbing at him "heah nah, you
behave yoself, straighten UP," rattle his little fancy halter lead
chain...  :)

Janice

-- 
even good horses have bad days sometimes.

Reply via email to