>>> Sounds like a challenge.

I post some videos of his first expedition outside the stall (and outside 
the horse trailer) since he was captured for treatment at the vet clinic. 
Then you can see if you'd still call it a challenge.  :)  He's a VERY smart 
boy.


>>>Do you plan to ride him eventually?


I'll probably ride him eventually, but I don't have any shortage of riding 
horses at the moment, so there's no rush.  The others that have been 
domesticated are being ridden, and are doing great.  These are technically 
mustangs, but they have grown up so close to people that they are used to a 
lot of things.  They've probably seen more bikes, strollers, kites, jet 
skis, four-wheelers and other beach paraphernalia than any of my horses 
have.  Plus, they are used to wildlife, like deer, foxes, osprey, hawks, 
even wild boar.  There was an adopted Banker mare at the boarding facility 
who is ridden regularly, and she was an absolute doll - very sweet and 
gentle in an almost Icelandic way.


>>>Will he be gelded?


To early to say.  I'm not going to keep him intact lightly, but there is so 
little of this DNA left, that I'll give him a good chance to see what he is. 
Bart has been particularly picked to remain a stallion if at all possible. 
They have to guard this tiny gene pool.   I don't HAVE to promise to keep 
him intact indefinitely if it doesn't work out though.


>>> Will you put him in with your other horses?


We'll have to see how it goes - obviously not with the Icelandic mares as 
long as he's a stallion. Right now, he's living in a stall, and his 
next-door neighbor is a pretty little Arab mare.  It's the amazing thing 
about horses who've lived in herds.  His attitude is "Mare?  I've seen 
plenty of mares before.   No big deal."   They aren't any real novelty to 
him.   In the past, there have never been walls to keep him from mares - 
just jealous boyfriends, and that apparently works better than walls.


Melnir was able to live with geldings when he was a stallion.


Karen Thomas, NC

Reply via email to