I had no idea what to do with a "wild mustang stallion" in a 10x10 foot 
stall.  This is a stallion who was just picked up due to an injury on his 
neck on May 6.  The only handling he'd gotten so far was to be sedated for 
the initial treatment, then the daily cleaning of his wounds afterwards. 
The Banker horses are known for being gentle and easy souls, and they say 
Bart is one of the easiest mature horses they've seen yet.  That he's a 
stallion is even more amazing.  This is NOT a typical mustang,  probably not 
even typical for a young stallion, but it's not too out of the ordinary for 
this strain of Colonial Spanish mustangs apparently.  And, maybe it's an 
explanation of why I'd consider bringing a "wild mustang" home.


Here are a few quick video clips, but beware, you  can see his injury in 
several places and it's not pretty:


To be moved from the stall to the round pen, he had to back the trailer up 
to the end of the barn hallway, open his stall door, and guide him from 
behind into the trailer.  The herd manager is quite tactful and gentle in 
his mannerisms and handling -  Cary and I were very impressed.  Getting Bart 
from his stall to the round pen took less than five minutes total.  He 
backed up the trailer close to the round pen gate, and put up a couple of 
pipe corral panels and opened the trailer door.  Here's the exciting show 
that ensued...remember, Bart hadn't been out of a stall for three weeks, 
except for three trailer rides:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E1lT3JDlVM


Here's Bart's first movements around the round pen, encouraged forward by 
the handler, but not chased: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr_uTAuIKAk


More of Bart trotting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKnUMDxZpnc


One more - sorry that Cary missed taping the part where he actually started 
to come to the handler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMd5j01L3KQ


The handler (the herd manager) did these exercises so that Cary and I could 
watch Bart, but after we got these videos, we went into the round pen with 
him and did some of the same ourselves.   I sat on the mounting block at one 
point, and Bart came and sniffed me of his own accord.  We'd been in the 
stall with him several times earlier in the week.  About the second day 
inside the stall with him, I started brushing him.  Needless to say, I was 
very slow and deliberate in my movements, since it was a small space and I 
didn't know him well...and Cary stood outside and kept the stall door 
cracked open, just in case I needed to get out.  (I didn't.)


The day before we put him in the round pen, I decided to see how long it 
would take to teach him to touch a target.  Note that I did this from 
outside the stall - i wasn't anxious to go through any mugging phases with a 
stallion that doesn't know how to move away, and who really doesn't have any 
basic understanding about what people consider acceptable behavior.   The 
day before this video, he didn't know what a cookie is, and in about three 
clicks, he figured out how to make cookies. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUSj4p6hfeY


And here's his non-reaction to me opening an umbrella: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipNUaahLmE



Karen Thomas, NC


Reply via email to