Nice review, mata dan otak agak kram n juling baca review yang panjangnya
kayak marathon (+ dobel 2 paragraf) :p

Jadi pengen Incredible :)

On Jun 6, 2010 6:32 AM, "Agus Hamonangan" <id.andr...@gmail.com> wrote:
On the paper, the Droid Incredible doesn't look that much different
from its cousin, the Google Nexus One. In fact, they do have a lot in
common, even if the Droid Incredible is obviously slightly more
advanced (see table) and also runs on what many call "the best
cellular network in the U.S": Verizon. The Droid Incredible also comes
with HTC Sense, a series fine-tuned Android OS additions that make the
phone more usable. Wireless carriers aside, most people ask me:
"should I get the Incredible or the Nexus One?". My definitive answer
is: The HTC Incredible. In this review, I'll tell you how I have used
it and why I think that it is better than the Nexus One. Ready?

Context: We all use our phones differently, so it's important that I
tell you where I come from: I have been using the Droid Incredible for
a couple of weeks as my main phone. I typically check my email often
with Exchange, and I reply moderately because the virtual keyboard is
not as productive as a physical one. I browse the web several times a
day to check on news sites, but I rarely watch movies or play music. I
don't call much - maybe 10mn a day. This usage pattern will affect
battery life and the perception of what features are useful.

Technical Highlights

Droid Incredible

Android 2.1 + HTC Sense
3.7" AMOLED 480x800
Qualcomm 8650 SnapDragon, 1Ghz
512MB RAM
8GB of internal storage + microSD slot
8 Megapixel camera
Wifi b/g, BT 2.1+EDR, aGPS
FM Radio
TV Out (microUSB)
Carrier: Verizon, 3G speeds
4.6 x 2.3 x 0.47", 4.6oz
1300mAh battery

Google Nexus One

Android 2.1
3.7" AMOLED 480x800
Qualcomm 8250 SnapDragon, 1Ghz
512MB RAM
4GB microSD card
5 Megapixel camera
Wifi b/g, BT 2.1+EDR, aGPS
No Radio
No TV Out
AT&T, T-Mobile
4.7 x 2.4 x 0.5", 4.5oz
1400mAh battery

There are a few notable differences with the Nexus One: The Droid
Incredible has 8GB of internal memory (+ one MicroSD slot on the
side), while the Nexus has only the MicroSD slot with a 4GB microSD
card by default. Secondly, the Nexus One has a 5 Megapixel camera
instead of the 8MP of the Incredible. The Incredible has a dual-LED
flash, versus a the single-LED flash of the N1. The Nexus one has a
slightly better battery (1400mAh), but you will see later that sheer
battery capacity doesn't define battery life.
Physical Design (Very Good)

Body: the design of the Droid Incredible is slick by most people's
standards, and I certainly like it myself. The backplate design might
be more controversial, but while it is not my favorite backplate, I'm
OK with it. I'll let you decide for yourself after looking at our
photo gallery. The more important part is that the build quality is
good, and the phone feels solid.

Display: The Droid Incredible's display is very similar to the Nexus
One display (for good and bad). Both use AMOLED technology, and while
the actual screen size may vary just a little, both provide the same
feel and experience. It is narrower than the iPhone - not by a lot,
but just enough to induce more typos when using the virtual keyboard,
in my opinion. The colors seem more saturated than they should, but
that's kind of how AMOLED is... I would certainly not use this an an
example of color accuracy, but I like the high contrast, and how the
colors "pop". The thing that I don't like with AMOLED display is how
unreadable they get when it's bright outside. I guess that this is the
downside of living in California, but this is probably the most
annoying thing on this phone.

[...]

Optical trackpad: I'm sure that I don't use the trackpad to its full
potential, but it is honestly not very useful. I really need it only
when I try to move the cursor within a word, and this does not happen
very often. Just to give you a reference, I think that this trackpad
is not as nice to use as the Blackberry Bold 9700 trackpad.

UI buttons: the four buttons at the bottom of the phones are much more
sensitive than on the Nexus One, and I'm glad that HTC improved this
aspect because the N1 was a little annoying for that. The quick search
button will open a universal search that will scan you contacts,
shortcuts, bookmarks and so on... it also gives you an option to
extend the search to the web. For web searches, I have installed a
Google Search widget.
Basics

Dial a number: Just like other Android phones, dialing a number on the
Incredible is very easy. HTC Sense makes it even a little more
convenient: for example, HTC made the dialer a little smaller so that
you can see (and click!) the few last numbers called. Accessing the
full list of contacts or favorites is also simple.

Wireless reception: Overall, the Verizon network is the one that has
the best reputation in the U.S, however you should remember that
reception quality is mostly a matter of where YOU are. Do your
homework, and ask your friend what their reception is. It might very
well be that another carrier will have a cell tower nearby your home
or office. I remember that a recent study has shown that Verizon
dropped less calls than AT&T.

Audio quality: during calls, the sound is clear and loud (louder than
my BB 9700), so I'm satisfied with this. It should be loud enough to
hear distinctly in a busy restaurant.

Virtual Keyboard (Busy): HTC Sense provides a keyboard that is
different from the original Android one. First of all, it as a comma
key at the bottom and you can see what the alternate characters are
(1,2,3... and special characters). If you press and hold a key, the
alternate key will be used. By doing this, you don't have to switch to
the alternate view of the keyboard. This could be a time saver, but
the "hold" time is a little too long at about 2 seconds - it needs to
be set to 1 second to really save time. I would like to have more
control over the keyboard. I find this one to be too (visualy) busy
for my taste.

Copy/Paste (works!): Most reviews don't mention this, but the
Copy/Paste actually works very well on the Droid Incredible (yay!),
including in non-editable zones, which is like... 97.66% of the time
when you need a copy/paste. Copy/Paste works like it does with the
iPhone: click and hold something and a set of delimiters will appear.
Drag the delimiters to change the selection, then copy, and voila.
Thank you HTC.

Web Browsing (Excellent): As it is the case with recent Android
phones, the web browsing experience is excellent. Web browsing is
fast, and the superb screen resolution makes the iPhone 3GS seem
blurry. If you have a good sight, the extra resolution will let you
see more text at once, therefore reducing the need to scroll and zoom
- I love it.

If you do need to zoom and scroll, HTC has added the most coveted
pinch & zoom support, which was missing from most Android devices in
the U.S, including the N1. Just like on the iPhone and the Pre, you
can now zoom easily and intuitively. There's one difference though:
this browser will reformat the text each time you zoom. While this
makes text reading better, it also displaces web page elements in
unexpected ways.

Flash: Flash Lite is supported, but in practice, it didn't help me
that much. The stuff that I really care about (Hulu, for example) did
not work, but a few banner ads and games (too slow to play) did
work... I think that we will need full Flash 10.1 support with great
performance (I insist on this point) before the whole Flash thing
starts to make a difference.

Google docs: Google docs is still in read-only mode, which means that
we're only half of the way there. Not that I would *like* to edit a
spreadsheet from the small display with the small keyboard, but I
would like to have the option of doing it (this is true for most
Smartphones btw. The Nokia N900 does work with Google Docs). There's a
big demand for the editing functions, so I thought that you should
know.
Email / Accounts Sync

The email experience is pretty good, but I'll repeat myself (from a
prior review) that this is nowhere near the level of productivity that
a BlackBerry would reach. From getting to the top of the email list
(press "t" in the BB), to initiating a reply (press "r") with a
keyboard shortcut to finally typing the actual text, I would say that
the Blackberry (9700) makes me twice as fast to answer emails. Also,
the Blackberry has a custom dictionary that you can use to expand
acronyms into full blocks of text. For example, if I type "addr" [then
space], it expands to my full address - you can't beat that.

In my Nexus One review, I complained about the lack of email search.
If you use the universal search (tap the search button at the
bottom-right of the phone), you can search everything in the phone,
including apps, shortcuts, contacts, and... emails. This is clearly
much better than nothing, but I would have loved a Mail Search. Note
that the GMail client has a search feature that works well. I'm
talking about the Mail client for Exchange and POP/IMAP accounts here
(POP and IMAP are supported by virtually all email providers).

USB Sync: I happen to sync my email via the 3G connection, but many
people would still like to sync with their computer Email with a USB
cable. HTC has made it possible to sync contacts and the calendar sync
over USB (kudos to them), but there's no Email sync from Outlook or
Outlook Express. I did not see any Mac support for contact sync.

Push-email: You can setup Android to deliver emails "as they arrive"
to get true "push email". I tried with Exchange and GMail, but not
with POP. This is great because you can engage in IM-like email thread
(for better or worse), without "refreshing" the mailbox all the time

Accounts Sync: You can add all kinds of accounts like Exchange,
Facebook, Flickr, Google and Twitter and synchronize content on a
regular basis. With Facebook for HTC Sense, you can't sync Facebook
faster than once every hour unless you do it manually. I suspect that
this is true for other services as well. Frequent manual refreshes
could deplete the battery faster than you would want.
Computer Sync

Upon connecting with USB, the Droid Incredible will appear as a USB
drive in your OS. Simultaneously, the phone will ask if you just want
to charge (no data connection), Sync Contacts+Calendar (Windows only),
Mount as a USB drive or share the phone's internet connection with the
computer. This is pretty basic, but sufficient for most users. Under
Windows, you can optionally import photos and videos the same way you
would from a camera or a memory card - this is familiar territory.
There's no iTunes equivalent to manage the phone - for better or
worse. Personally, I really like the simplicity of the USB
connectivity but sometimes it's easier to manage things from a
computer because it's more comfy.
Tethering

Out of the box, the Droid Incredible has a tethering option that I was
eager to try. Well, it didn't quite work "out of the box"... I
installed HTC Sync and connected via a USB cable, chose the tethering
option, after after which the computer tried to install the Modem
drivers... and failed. A quick search revealed that others are
experiencing the same issues. So I decided to try PDANet, a 3rd party
solution that uses the USB Debug Mode to communicate data back and
forth between the Droid and the computer. This seems like a workaround
that would work with every carrier. Anyway, after installing following
the PDANet and installing a client on my Win7 laptop, I was connected
via the 3G connection. With 2/4 bars, the phone managed to get a
1.8Mbps/0.73Mbps connection, according to Speakeasy.net, that's not
bad at all.

Photos: images captured with the 8 Megapixel camera look good and rank
surely among the best that we've seen in recent months, but the
internal image processing software has been tuned to "sharpen" the
images a little too much in my opinion. There's also visible noise and
small details like leaves are sometimes blurred out by the image
compression. In relatively good lighting conditions, the colors are
quite natural, which is a plus - the Nexus One was not as skillful.
Despite being a very good mobile phone camera, it won't surpass a
pocket digicam - that was to be expected. In darker conditions, it's a
bit more difficult, but there's a 2-LED flash (that works best from
1.5 yards away). Just take a look at our Droid Incredible photo &
video samples on Flickr, they will speak for themselves.

Video: I'm pretty happy with the video quality of this phone. The
camcorder app can record videos at 800x480 (24fps, 2000kbps) and
640x480 (30fps). Lower resolutions like 320x240 are also supported,
but unless you're running out storage, there's no point in using the
small resolutions. 640x480 is my personal favorite as I prefer faster
framerate over sheer resolution, but both work very well. I recommend
avoiding fast panning motions because that might make the video a
little choppy. Check out our Droid Incredible video samples on Flickr.
Performance
As benchmarked by Linpack, the raw performance is the same than what
we're getting on the Nexus One, so there's no surprise on that front.
Android 2.2 will bring a 5X theoretical performance jump, because apps
will be compiled to native code, thanks to the Just-In-Time (JIT)
compiler that turns Java code into native code.

User Interface performance: on the "perceived performance" front, the
user interface is fast. Android phones have made steady progress and
went from relatively slow to fairly fast in less than a year. If
you're a little picky (like I am), you will notice that the UI
elements are still not as fluid as the iPhone 3GS or the Zune HD. I
still think that this is a structural software issue with Android, one
that has not been addressed in Android 2.2, yet.

Gaming performance: At the moment, gaming performance is pretty much
in-line with what you can get on the Nexus One. It's good, but it
could be (and will be) even better with Android 2.2. Let's hope that
HTC will come up with the Droid Incredible 2.2 Update quickly. Look at
the video to see what the Droid Incredible can do.

Boot time: if you're curious, the Droid Incredible boots in 37 seconds
from black screen to "being usable".
Multitasking (Excellent)

We all know it, Android is a good multitasker, but you will need to
keep an eye on what's running in the background to avoid taxing the
resources (cycles, battery) too much. I still recommend using a Task
Killer application, and preferably one that lets you kill all
non-essential apps in one click via a shortcut. You can also set it to
automatically terminate applications every x minutes/hours, just to
make sure that you don't forget. Even though Android has (in theory)
been getting better at minimizing the impact of background tasks on
the battery, I found the Task Killer to be useful - oh and it's free
too.
HTC Sense

While the Nexus One is running on a standard Android build, the
Incredible benefits from HTC Sense, an improved user interface (UI)
that builds upon Android. There are a ton of improvements, and my
favorites are the calendar, flash support in the browser, status
updates and the homepage "leap" (seeing all seven home screens at
once). These simple things make your life a little easier. I don't
think that I should dedicate a whole section of this review to it, but
if you want to know more, head to this article form Android Central.
Honestly, I would rather see Google improving the Android UI for all,
instead of having HTC do it only for HTC devices.
Entertainment

Photos gallery (Getting better): the photo gallery app is simple and
classic. You can scroll over a film roll that displays 3 photos at
once, or zoom in and view photos one by one. You can even crop the
photos if you want, although I never have the urge to do it. From the
gallery, it is very easy to share a photo via email, social networks
or Bluetooth. Overall, the gallery works so much better than phones
that came out just 6 months ago. It's faster, but still lags behind
the Zune HD and the 3GS. We're getting close...

Music (No search?): The plain-vanilla Android comes with a decent
music player, and I usually don't have much to say about other than
"it works". The HTC variant is equally functional, except in one way:
I did not find a text search function - this is a pain in the neck if
you have a lot of songs. I tried to use the unified search, but no
music results came out.

Audio quality (Good): Overall, the external speaker quality is good.
It is plenty loud and you can definitely watch a clip, or listen to
music very decently. If you crank the volume level past 80%, the sound
starts to be distorted.

YouTube Videos (Very good): YouTube video worked really well over 3G,
despite that fact that I have only 2/4 bars when sitting at my desk.
No particular complaint there. Make sure that you use the high-quality
video (in the menu). By default, my YouTube app was to the low
quality.

MP4 Videos: Videos played locally on the Droid Incredible can be
extremely sharp and fast. I have created a 2.5Mbps movie (AVC,
720x480, 30fps, stereo 48Khz) and the phone was able to play it back
perfectly. May be I could have cranked up the bitrate, but this was
more than enough. On the other hand, PSP-friendly .mp4 files that I
used with other Android phones did not work on this one. That's a
bummer because some people out there might have build and converted a
ton of movies to fit their phones. I also tried to play a 720p 8Mbps
movie, and that one froze my phone.

Skype: Verizon has the best Skype integration on Android (The Nokia
N900's is great too), so it's quite a perk to be able to leave Skype
in the background and place/receive calls with it. Remember that
SkypeOut calls will use your minutes because they don't go through 3G,
but call a special number instead. This means no voice-over-IP from a
hotspot, or from abroad. Too bad...
Battery Life (Excellent)

Overall, the Droid Incredible has the best battery life of all the
Android devices that I have had in my hands recently, and that
includes the HTC EVO 4G, if you are curious. The Nexus One and most of
the others could barely survive 24hrs, even with a moderate usage, but
the Droid Incredible survived way into the second day (see how I use
it in the "Context" paragraph at the beginning). This is huge because
this means that I can forget to charge it overnight. I'm not sure why
this is, but I suspect that the idle power management (sleep mode) is
simply better. What I don't understand is why the EVO 4G, which runs a
similar software (if not more recent), does not pass the 24hrs
barrier. (note that I use a Task Killer on all Android phones. This is
often very useful to cut down power consumption)

Battery utility: if you want to know what app is sucking out all the
power, use the battery utility. It will show you which app/process
consumes power and this knowledge will help you save power. Go to
Settings>>About Phone>> Battery>>Battery use (see photo above).

User-replaceable: The battery is user-replaceable if you feel like
buying some more, but I found the backplate to be much harder to open
than on the Nexus One for instance. No biggie, but if you change
batteries often, it might be annoying. I think that most users feel
better to know that they can change a dead battery themselves, not
that it actually happens that much.

Camera is incredibly taxing: After a week or so, I realized by
accident that the camera was the most battery-taxing of all (at least
that I know of). If you use the camera for 3-5mn, it will quickly jump
to be the most power-hungry app in the battery utility. Good to know!

Power Management Widgets: I found the power management widget to be
very useful because it shows you right away if high-powered stuff like
3G, WIFI and GPS are ON or OFF, it puts you in (complete but manual)
control of the power management. Of course, a better alternative might
be to make things smarter so that they turn completely OFF and ON when
needed, but in the meantime, it's handy. I highly recommend it.
Things that could be better

Narrow design: just like many HTC designs, I find the Droid Incredible
to be very pocketable, but at the expense of typing accuracy with the
virtual keyboard. A careful examination of the virtual keyboard
reveals that it is only slightly narrower than the iPhone's but that
small difference makes a noticeable difference in typing linpack.
Fortunately, HTC also has larger phones like the EVO 4G, which is much
more comfy to type on.

No Data during calls: This has to do with the CDMA wireless technology
used by Verizon (and Sprint): it simply can't do voice and data at the
same time. For example, you can't be on the phone and go do a web
search (the browser won't be able to connect). That sounds really
annoying, but in the real world, it has never been an issue for me. I
did try it and I can confirm that this is true, and I think that you
should know. It seems that Sprint's Wimax (4G) doesn't suffer from
this and Verizon's upcoming LTE (4G) might not either.

No UMA: Verizon's network has worked very well during this test, but
wouldn't it be nice if they were supporting UMA as well? With UMA, we
would be able to connect to the Verizon network over WIFI. That would
be a boon for customers living on the edge of the network. It would
also offer a small solution to those who travel abroad. They would be
able to get some coverage indoors.

No International service: I just mentioned the international traveler,
so you've been warned: outside of the US, this phone won't work.

Landscape mode doesn't work at 90 degrees CW: This is very mild, but
the landscape mode doesn't work consistently. The screen will rotate
only counter clock-wise (CCW) and it will do so only in specific apps.
Conclusion

The Droid Incredible is an excellent phone that demonstrates Android
at its best, and reveals HTC's mastery at releasing high-quality
phones litterally faster than we can test them. I can't wait for the
Android 2.2 update. Because I found the battery to be better and the
screen and the tactile buttons to be more responsive, I can warmly
recommend the Incredible over the Nexus One. The Verizon Network
worked beautifully for me, even though I never had 4/4 bars in and
around the office. No dropped calls, no sluggish web traffic. The only
sacrifice, that I'm not quite yet ready to make is to abandon a
SIM-card based phone because I travel a lot outside the U.S and it is
just very handy to keep the same phone and pop a local SIM card in.
What's yout take on the Droid Incredible? Do you have more questions,
remarks? Drop a comment below.
Links

Do not miss these reviews: Macbook Pro Review, iPad Review, iPhone 3GS
Review, Sprint Overdrive WiMax Modem, Blackberry 9700 Review, Palm
Pixi Review, Motorola Droid Review,Nokia N900 Review, HTC Hero Review,
MyTouch 3G Review/HTC Magic, Nokia N97 Review

Droid Incredible Photo Gallery, Droid Incredible Photo Samples
(700px-wide)Droid Incredible photo samples on Flickr (native
resolution), Images from this page, in higher resolution

Droid Incredible homepage at HTC, Verizon. Droid Incredible user
manual, HTC Sense

--
Salam,

Agus Hamonangan