On 8/30/2023 1:21 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
On Wed 30/Aug/2023 07:35:08 +0200 Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 8:11 PM Dave Crocker <d...@dcrocker.net> wrote:
On 8/29/2023 7:46 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
On 8/29/23 9:02 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

Why not re-use the existing DKIM solution, just with a different domain / set of keys?

Because it does not provide the affirmative information that I am postulating/guessing the originating platform can supply.

I have to agree.  It's compelling to consider that a high-trust domain might flag something for my extra consideration.  This could be done per-message, rather than per-key, which was Grant's counterproposal; the equivalent is to generate a selector per message, which appears at least on the surface to suffer problems of scale.

The affirmative information can be provided by using semantic subdomain names, whose purpose and meaning has been registered. See the strawman here: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-dkim/ez0PYqMdCDoR4-sN2toPGObMMFI

Except that there are no semantics to the domain naming components in DKIM, beyond the ones already defined.

Whatever naming choices a signer might make, the validator has no access to their meaning.

It's a bit like the www convention for domain naming. Humans associate an intention to it, but computers don't.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking