> In any event, I've always personally been of the opinion that
> if applications don't work in the face of NAT, then the
> applications themselves are functionally deficient and should be
> fixed.  :-)

I'm certainly not going to disagree with you about that,
but H.323 does not work through NAT without extremely
sophisticated stateful inspection/rewrite capabilities
in the NAT, and it will not work, period, if the signaling
streams are encrypted.  For better or worse (and let's
not get into that), there's a lot of H.323 out there
and there's going to be much, much more over the
coming years.  RSIP isn't going to work cleanly with
H.323, either (although there are some rather disgusting
things you can do in the application about that).

We can "should" until the cows come home (Hey!  They're
home!), but there's a lot of real software out there that
is broken by network address translation.

Melinda
--
Melinda Shore
Member of the Scientific Staff