Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> From: "Keith Moore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > it often seems to be the case that if you design for
> > the long term, what you get back isn't deployable
> > in the near term because you've made the problem
> > too hard.
>
> I dunno.  I don't think that adding two more digits in the 1960s to year
> fields would have really made any problems too hard.

Hard, no; expensive, yes.  Consider a DMV system for a state with, oh, 10
million people; each person has a record with at least 3 dates (birth, license
expiration, and one registration date for each car).  Using 4-digit years would
have required over 60MB more storage space.  I don't know 1960s storage prices,
but I know that 60MB would have cost enough to be worth saving.

--
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|