Stephen Sprunk;

I dare reply because your mail demonstrates common misunderstandings
by people outside of the Internet.

> > > H.323 is defined for a LAN environment, not for telephone lines.
> >
> > For telephony people, the IP protocol is for a LAN environment
> > that there is no difference between H.323, SIP, TELNET, or DNS
> > for that matter.
>
> "Telephony people" are not relevant here, since we're talking about
> VoIP.

Huh?

> Your statements don't make sense; "VoIP over telephony networks" is an
> oxymoron, since VoIP is, by definition, over an IP network.

Some IP networks are pure telephony networks.

Only one IP network in the world is the Internet.

> > > If you want to use ITU protocols, please choose some other numbers.
> >
> > So, you are saying SGCP/MGCP are wrong to use 323.
> >
> > Fine.
>
> No, he's suggesting that if you wish to use an ITU protocol, H.323 is
> not the correct one.  Perhaps Q.931?

He is not saying anything meaningful.

> MGCP/SGCP/Megaco directly use E.164 numbers.  SIP allows users to see

The context is that Yixin said something about S/MGCP and 323 and
Chrisitian acknowledged. I know the relevance is meaningless.

> > FYI, in my design of "The Simple Internet Phone":
> >
> > If you are interested in Internet telephony, see you at
> > INET'2000 in Yokohama for the presentation of our paper
> > "The Simple Internet Phone".
>
> Please let us know the URL where you'll be publishing this paper, as
> some of us may not be inclined to fly to Yokohama to hear about yet
> another non-standard, proprietary telephony protocol.

You seem to have no knowledge on INET and IETF.

Signature of Vint will be a good starter for you.

Or, ask someone who knows something about not only IP networks but
also the Internet.

> SIP is not, as you state, based on a strategy of building non-IP
> networks and connecting them with non-IETF protocols; in fact, it's
> quite the opposite.  SIP allows the replacement of non-IP (ie. legacy
> telephony) networks and non-IETF (ie. ITU) protocols; in the ideal SIP
> world, legacy telephony would cease to exist.

We, IETF, are for the Internet, not merely IP.

                                                        Masataka Ohta