In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Stephen McHenry typed

 >>On a more serious note, having done a lot of instruction over the years, it
 >>shouldn't be about ego (I paid my "understanding dues" - everyone else
 >>should too!!), it should be about communication... i.e., how quickly can we
 >>effectively communicate complex concepts...

excellent point

one of the bigest contributions to the internet standards process was
Rich Stevens (RIP) TCP/IP _Illustrated_ series - these clarify,
disambiguate and communicate many many areas of standards - i agree
wit hbob that protocol creators may not need the visualisation and
graphic detail in the early stages, but as you say, there are lots of
people implementing who need rapid ways of absorbing the ideas -

however, that doesn't mean this has to be in the i-d and RFC stages -
it can be in a myriad of other places such as books and trade press
journals where articles abound giving the further interpretation - and
do say in many languages too

cheers

j.