Randy Bush wrote:
>>We did (at 9:30am, minutes after the problem was detected). It didn't go
>>away. Now be an engineer and show us a trace.
>
> a bit hard when it is broken arp packets
>
> Jul 15 11:47:27 roam /kernel: arp: unknown hardware address format (0x0800)
> Jul 15 11:47:27 roam /kernel: arp: unknown hardware address format (0x0800)
> Jul 15 13:01:45 roam /kernel: arp: unknown hardware address format (0x0800)
> Jul 15 13:49:08 roam /kernel: arp: unknown hardware address format (0x0800)

That totals 4 packets that are ill-formed in a period of 2 hours,
packets which are causing the router to crash. That's a bug, period.

This has nothing to do with what happened this morning - those were
incorrect source addresses.

>>The routers have a bug in their implementation of ARP.
>
> yet to be known

A router that doesn't drop an ill-formed address in an ARP packet has a
bug. A router that crashes due to this has a fatal bug.

Let's replace that router, and debug THAT offline.

>>ARP, and our use of it, isn't experimental.
>
> your use of it was clearly demonstrated to have broken things this
> morning.  we're just asking you to turn your stuff off so we can
> isolate the problem.

If you had bothered to ask, it isn't even my stuff. It's Lars'. I'm
running (still, since this morning, and haven't stopped)- WinXP (gasp).

Joe