----- Original Message -----
From: "Lloyd Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Fred Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Hallam-Baker, Phillip"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, December 08, 2002 5:29 PM
Subject: RE: namedroppers, continued

> On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar  (UMKC-Student) wrote:
>
> > " If I don't know you, and you want your e-mail to appear in my
> >   inbox, then you must attach to your message an easily verified
> >  "proof of computational effort", just for me and just for this
> >  message.
> >
> > If the proof of effort requires, say, 10 seconds to compute, then
> > the economics of sending spam are radically altered, as a single
> > machine can send only 8,000 messages per day.
>
> tracking moore's law could be a problem.
>
> > The recent proliferation of spam has lead to a renewed interest in
> > these ideas.  This work is about both the choice of functions that
> > can be used to yield easily verifiable proofs of computational
> > effort, and architectures for implementing the proof of effort
> > approach.  Filtering and/or forcing senders to pay in other
> > currencies, such as human attention and money, will be covered as
> > time permits"
>
> "Sender pays" is good. The penny black stamp effectively introduced a
> flat-rate tax on sending letters, rather than a variable-rate tax on
> receiving them, effectively turning mail into a common good available
> to all society.

Lloyd, in the US we pay .37 to mail a first-class letter. I don't know how
many pence you pay in the UK but we still have "spam" bulk rate unwanted
solicitations. Forcing the sender to pay doesn't solve a spam problem. I
don't see how in could. It would force everyone to have to pay a price.