Yakov,

Are you saying inter-area OSPF TE is not required?

Without the inter-area OSPF TE, the non-backbone areas of an
OPPF AS boil down to being *stub areas* and the backbone area
becomes the only area. The round-robin ABR based trial-and-error
CSPF computations can take inordinate amounts of time for LSP convergence.
As LSPs are setup, TE network reachability changes.
Without the inter-area OSPF TE, nodes are blind to TE reachability outside
the area. Not offering inter-area OSPF TE, I believe, is
a disservice to customers who need predictability. Same goes with
the flooding and other limitations imposed on mixed networks.

Lack of a requirements document for OSPF TE is clearly the cause
of this debate. It may not be too late to work on one.
Borrowing Keith's words, it sounds like we have a group of people insisting
on adopting the "one solution" without significant
change - treating it as inviolate rather than as a proof of
concept.

regards,
suresh