Jeroen Massar wrote:

John Stracke wrote:

Jeroen Massar wrote:

Ad-hoc networks are another similar case, where two machines are connected via ad-hoc wireless, bluetooth, firewire,
or similar.

In any other way do you like remembering and typing over 128bit
addresses?? :)

:: is your friend. If you're building an ad hoc, point-to-point network, you can pick convenient addresses.

:: as in all 0's which corresponds to 'not bound'?

No, as in a string of 0s. If you set up your own isolated network, you can make one host be 1::1 and the other 1::2.

Most OS's require a (unique) hostname to be entered/automatically
generated on install

False.

And is there any reasoned argument instead of the simple 'false'?

It seems pretty obvious: no OS can require a unique hostname at install time, because it has no way of checking uniqueness. The Unices I've installed (various versions of Solaris and Linux), even if they prompt for a hostname, will accept the default of "localhost.localdomain". In addition, many, many machines (especially those bought preinstalled) are installed from standardized images, and have standardized hostnames.

--
|John Stracke      |[EMAIL PROTECTED]                     |