% > >   Are the apps for which IPv6 is enabled that -can not-
% > >   use address literals?  If so, then Steve is wrong and
% > >   the DNS has become critical infrastructure to the working
% > >   of the Internet.
% >
% > anyone who believes that the DNS is not critical infrastructure for just
% > about every single purpose the Internet is used for is either living in a
% > fantasy world or has redefined the "Internet" to be something that's
% > strictly at layer 3 and below.
%
% agreed.  but there's a difference between saying that DNS is critical
% infrastructure and that it's appropriate to use DNS every time an address is
% needed.  DNS is necessary, not sufficient.
%
% Keith

        to pass bits, in the IPv4 world, DNS is -NOT- critical.
        no application forbids address literals and every app
        will allow address literals to be used.  Couple this with
        the fact that IPv4 addresses are within the scope of human
        comprehension, i.e. I can remember 128.9.160.160

        with IPv6, the addresses are long enough to not be human
        friendly, e.g.  2001:0478:6: is about as much as I remember
        on my own...  I must use the DNS or my little yellow sticky note
        to complete the address.  And there are intimations that some
        applications now forbid the use of address literals, even
        if bracketed.

        Sounds like you both are arguing that the DNS has become
        "embedded" and the applications that use IP are unusable
        without a working DNS.  This assertion, if true, has ramifcations
        beyond a simple requirement to have the latency of an extra
        lookup against a third party.  (Can you say "Death to e2e!...
        sure you can :)

--bill