Pekka,

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> > I can think of some possible reasons, not necessarily exclusive
> >
> > - this is a bad idea/impossible to do well, so we shouldn't do it
>
> Yes to both.

As a meaningless response, I could just say - it's a good idea.  And it is
possible to do well.  That is, of course, as useless as saying it can't be done
well and is a bad idea because it is unsubstantiated.

> > - we're too stupid to get it right, so we shouldn't do it
>
> Yes.

Speak for yourself :-)

We're doing it.  Hopefully, we're going to get it mostly right if we don't think
that this is a service that scales to infinity.

> > - the IETF is too large, so we shouldn't be adding more work
>
> Yes.

So we should not do any new work?!

> > From your message, I can't tell which of those, or of any number of other
> > possible objections, is the basis of your objection.
> >
> > BTW - all these things were already being worked on in PPVPN. Some were
> > even described in the charter.
>
> Fair question, I probably should have included more text in the first
> place :-).
>
> 1. Virtual Private LAN Service.  This is Internet-wise ethernet bridging
> over routing protocols such as BGP, IS-IS, etc; further, this has
> typically little respect for security implications which are implicit (or
> even explicit) in LAN networks.
>
> So, my main points are:
>
>  - we must not overload routing protocols and such infrastructure (IMHO,
> this seems an inevitable path the work would go towards..)

If you use LDP, it is NOT a routing protocol.  The specific mode of use
(targeted LDP) is already described in RFC 3036.  The FECs are different, but
the FEC TLV was defined in such a way as to be extensible.

>  - we must not create complexity by deploying ethernet bridging all over
> the Internet.  Our work should be focused on making IP work, not
> specifying Ethernet-over-IP (or worse, Ethernet-over-IP as a *service*).

Primarily, folks want to use it as in "Ethernet-over-MPLS".  That may not
necessarily go down well with you either, but think of MPLS as a logical FR.
Providers do not want to change their infrastructure, e.g., replace a FR cloud
with an ATM cloud, then with SONET or GigE.  That's mega-expensive.  By
abstracting the L2 using MPLS, they can provide the L2VPN service without
wholesale infrastructure replacement.

>  - it is architecturally wrong: use different subnets, period -- that's
> what those are meant for in the first place!

Use different subnets to create VPNs?  I don't understand what you mean.  VPLS
and VPWS address a requirement for multiple domains (aka VPNs), logically
distinct from and invisible to each other.

>  - the model has significant security modifications.
>
> Seems like some operators want to move their frame relay (and what have
> you) customers to be bridged over IP, instead of fixing their networks.
> (I'm allowed to say that because I work for an ISP :-).  And vendors are
> desperate to provide to solutions for these "needs".  But is this the
> right approach?  I don't think so.
>
> 2. Virtual Private Wire Service
>
> This is slightly better as you're "only" performing point-to-point
> communication.  Same considerations as above apply, to a slightly lesser
> extent.
>
> Btw. how is this different from currently-specified GRE tunneling?  It
> being made a "service"?

GRE-tunneling is one option, but only for the transport of the VC.  However, you
need a demux field to identify the VC that you are carrying.  Carrying one
customer VC between a pair of PEs is obviously not adequate.

Tunneling is not new in the IETF.  The fact that you are tunneling what may be
non-IP packets seems to be giving you the heebie-jeebies.  Why?  What about the
tn3270, dlsw, netbios over ip work that has gone on in the past?  A little
massaging to make the packet look like data to be carried over an IP network,
and some implementation details at the edges.

> 3. IP-only L2 VPNs
>
> This seems a subset of case 1), which seems almost reasonable when it's
> made for point-to-point links.  I just don't see why folks would really
> want anything like this.  I can't figure out *one* area of applicability
> where using layer 3 mechanisms couldn't be made to work around the issue.

I agree with you on this.  The reason this is there is because some folks want
to do VPLS for IP only, and learn the MACs through the control plane.  I think
once you have VPLS, you don't really need this.

-Vach