--On Friday, 05 December, 2003 15:35 +0100 jfcm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

But I have Louis Pouzin involved (we both are on Eurolinc BoD)
who you may know. He specified the first "mail" program at
MIT, the scripts, the end to end datagram, the IP zones
(recently Vint recalled the Internet could have been called
"catenet" from his multiple routes concatenation approach - I
think is the necessary future). I am glad he is not active on
this list :-)

The first "mail" program at MIT, as well as what was probably the the first instance of what we would now call instant messaging, was specified and implemented by Tom Van Vleck and Noel Morris in around 1964 or 65, maybe a bit earlier (I have documentation in hand from the 64-65 period).

Louis deserves credit for many important accomplishments and advances, but that is not one of them.

regards,
   john