On 1/12/2004 9:03 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> IPv6's only hope of some modest level of deployment is, as the latter
> part of your message points out, as the substrate for some hot
> application(s). Somehow I doubt anything the IETF does or does not do
> is going to have any affect on whether or not that happens.

Yup, it needs a killer app or feature. Bigger address space was that
feature, but one made moot by NATs.

There are other features (security, etc), but they are end-user oriented
and don't really hold promise to ISPs or the equipment manufacturers (the
simple cost-of-goods factor means that the vendor community has negative
motivation to offer IPv6 in low-end gear). There has to be some kind of
effort to get past these hurdles -- development of a routing service that
makes multi-homing simpler for everybody at a magnitude higher scale, or
convincing vendors that IPv6 in the cheapest gear is in their best
interests, and so forth.

Since the engineers in the IETF tend to hold these kind of marketing
efforts in relatively low regard, the likelihood of any of this changing
is close to nil.