On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> RFC 2434 doesn't discuss null IANA sections at all.

Right.  The requirement for null IANA Considerations sections first
appeared in the May 2004 version of http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html,
without prior notice to the community.

> RFC2434bis does discuss them, and we will need to form consensus
> about whether the RFC Editor is required to retain them, as we
> discuss RFC2434bis. Which we need to do fairly soon.

In what venue will this discussion take place?  While I can
understand the value (to the IANA) of a null IANA Considerations
section in an Internet Draft, I'm strongly opposed to having them
appear in published documents.

Mike Heard