Hi,

> What we are seeing is increasing use of fully automated tools
> that don't
> have humans identifying which octets are MIB and which are
> code.  You can't
> do that with plain ASCII.

MIB modules may be a bad example for you to use. All MIB modules start
with a BEGIN character string and end with an END character string.
Plain ASCII works perfectly well for this purpose. Binary formatted
documents, such as MS-Word and PDF, require much more work from the
tools  to find those BEGIN and END statements.

David Harrington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

MD5
> (RFC 1321) is *trivial* under ASCII.  Last I checked, C compilers
and
> MIB compilers still use ASCII text as input, and not Word documents
or
> XML documents.  Maybe part of what is going on is that IETF is
getting
> populated with people who aren't close to coding as much as before?
> You can get perfectly decent text editors for all operating systems,
> even Windows.
>
> And even Word can import text (i.e., plain ASCII) documents Just
Fine.