*>
  *> I think there is a middle ground that can exist - a contract between
  *> IAOC representing IETF and ISI representing RFC Editor where RFC Editor
  *> agrees to publish documents submitted to it by IETF (i.e. they'll not
  *> be able to say no to IETF request to publish document even if RFC Editor
  *> believes its not ready) and for that RFC Editor receives a funding for
  *> its operations (which includes ability to publish documents that did not
  *> go through IETF process).
  *>

Which exactly describes the current situation, I believe.

Bob Braden