Brian et al,

I remember Vint told me in the early days, he had to pay people to
develop a TCP/IP stack on various OSes. This is how partly he got
adoption and interoperability.

While it is not the role of IETF to do that, I feel part of the
solution is there. Pay people to implement protocols for the greater
good on various platforms, the market will do the rest after a
significant user base is built.

Cheers

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Phill,
>

> On 2007-12-24 07:32, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
>> Problem: We have a lot of specifications that work fine, but have
>>  not seen deployment
>>
>> Examples: Most security specifications, IPv6, etc. etc.
>>
>> Cause: The economic case for deployment is not made. This is a
>> particular concern when the protocol deplends on the network
>> effect. Until the network is established the protocol has minimal
>>  value.
>>
>> Proposed Solution: Deployment Cases
>>
>> As engineers we are now used to considering use cases, that is
>> representative use scenarios that illustrate particular
>> intendeded uses. The output of use cases are requirements.
>>
>> Deployment cases are similar except that we consider the economic
>>  incentives for transition.
>
> IMHO, whenever the IETF has tried to do anything like this, we've
> failed. A good (er, bad) example was draft-ietf-iab-case-for-ipv6,
> which had so many issues that it was allowed to curl up and die.
>
> Basically, we aren't business-oriented people or economists, and we
> don't tolerate marketing-style bending of the facts.
>
> I'm pessimistic about trying this in the IETF, even for
> technologies that are aimed at the greater good, where the economic
> arguments are not about short term returns for individual
> companies.
>
> Brian

- --
Franck Martin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Toute connaissance est une réponse à une question"
G. Bachelard