Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson dot org> wrote:

>> Thinking not-that-far-back to the arrival of the FSF-driven hordes
>> trying to stop publication of the TLS authorization document, I think
>> the IETF pretty much blew them off, which was the right thing to do
>> under the circumstances.
>
> Some of those posts made relevant points, and came from people who are
> responsible for parts of the Internet.  If indeed the IETF blew them
> off, which I sincerely hope is not what will happen to that draft (the
> status tracker hasn't changed status since before then), I think the
> IETF will lose credibility in the wider community.

The main effect of that letter-writing campaign was that 98% of the
points, relevant and not, were restated over and over again.  I was
lurking at that time (as now) and my recollection was that the IETF
listened to the relevant points the first couple of times, and blew off
the restatements.

http://www.ewellic.org