On 2008-12-14 05:12, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 08:12:17 -0800 Eric Rescorla <e...@networkresonance.com>
> wrote:
>> At Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:49:09 +1300,
>> Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>>> Formally yes. But the Trust can take the sting out of this by
>>> a vigorous effort to get former contributors to sign over the
>>> necessary rights, and by providing a convenient method for
>>> this to be done.
>> Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this helps, because
>> we have no tracking of all the contributors to those previous
>> documents. So, how can the contributor know that all forme
>> contributors have executed those additional rights grants?

I would expect the original authors' agreement to be sufficient to
cover this, with any residual text fragments from unnamed contributors
being considered fair use. IANAL.

> Additionally, I think the major problem isn't with active contributors, but
> with people who are inactive/unreachable.

Sure. I won't let this ruin my day, but I do expect the Trust to
add some appropriate waiver text to the outgoing license, so that
I can submit recycled text under RFC5378 with a clear conscience.

On 2008-12-14 09:05, Scott Brim wrote:

> You can improve any technology you want, modulo IPR -- that's not the
> point here.  The problem is taking existing copyrighted text and using
> it as a base for describing your technology.

But remember, it's only a problem for doing so *outside* the IETF
process (which is why it's the Trust's outgoing license that has
to deal with this).

    Brian