On 9/18/09 14:02, Sep 18, Paul Wouters wrote:
Pre-emptively excluding countries based on culture, (perceived) bias,
or other non-technical and non-organisation arguments is wrong. So if the
visa issues are not much worse then for other countries, and an internet
connection not hampered by a Great Firewall, I see no reason to single
out China.

The majority of the conversation so far has related to a clause that we will be forced to accept as a condition of meeting in China. It is not directly related to their "culture" or "(perceived) bias." The conversation would be equally valid (and probably contain many of the same arguments) if we were being asked to make a substantially similar agreement to meet in, say, Ireland.

   "Should the contents of the Group's activities, visual or audio
   presentations at the conference, or printed materials used at the
   conference (which are within the control of the Client) contain any
   defamation against the Government of the Republic of Ireland, or
   show any disrespect to Irish culture, or violate any laws of the
   Republic of Ireland or feature any topics regarding human rights or
   religion without prior approval from the Government of the Republic
   of Ireland, the Hotel reserves the right to terminate the event on
   the spot and/or ask the person(s) who initiates or participates in
   any or all of the above action to leave the hotel premises immediately."

Could you imagine the uproar? Would it be anti-Irish sentiment? Or would it be objecting to an unacceptable policy?

/a